Friday, August 13, 2010

How has the “New Resume Format” worked so far? You know, a Crazy thought became an “IDEA”!!!

I posted the article titled “New Resume Format in the Social Media Era” a week ago here on my blog, and the reactions from online communities have been amazing!! This post has been viewed by more than 1000 people so far, and I have received about 60-70 comments from the sites that I posted it on…… And I even received contacts from some recruiters asking about my career plan…. I have had a great experience and lesson just from this one post, and I would like to thank you all who have read the post and sent me meaningful advice and cheerful messages…:)

Anyway, since some people asked me why I shared it online, I would like to write the reasons briefly...

I posted it NOT because I wanted to promote myself or tell people I am smart, but because I wanted to know how people think about this crazy thought. Actually, I made this kind of resume format 6 months ago to use for my internship application, but every time I showed it to people like professors or even my fellow students, I heard it does not look professional or companies would not like this kind of format…..So, I had to use a traditional resume format to get a summer internship because I did not want to look like a “fool”……… But, I have always looked forward to using it in exposing myself to the world…

One day, I saw Derek Sivers’ video that I also mentioned in one of my blog articles, How to start a movement_Derek Sivers, and it inspired me and changed the way I’m thinking… So, how did he change the way of my thinking then?? Using Derik’s idea, let me give one theoretical example….Let’s say, I just get bored in my office….. So, I just get out of the office and go out to a park near my company building. And suddenly I feel that I want to dance in the middle of the park for some reason….People are going to look at me dancing at the park as a crazy nut or insane person… But, let's say, one stranger walking on the street suddenly join me and dance with me together… Now, there are two nuts… People are still going to think these two nuts weird…. However, once two or more people join the dancing in the middle of the park after the second follower, this crazy happening would become a “news” or even a “public party”. With followers, a “stupid” thought or act can become a “innovative” idea… Ths is the power of marketing or even social media marketing! You know…. I believe this should be all about “Marketing”

My point is that even if you believe yourself to have a fabulous and excellent idea that no one could think of, if you don’t have a follower(s) who like or agree with your idea, it can NEVER become an "IDEA". We cannot bring a change to people’s lives and influence the public without their supports, or without any "fans" in "social media marketing" term..

This is the main reason why I posted it and asked people about their opinions. Many people have so far told me that this is a great idea and something that we should utilize along with the new marketing trends….My crazy thought became a good “idea”, and now there are more chances that it would work well…. But what if I used it without any support??... what would happen?? It would stay as just a crazy “thought” and “meaningless” post…

3 comments:

  1. I am new to computer field. could provide me the link to access this New Resume Format article? thanks

    CV Format

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tae-hyun,

    Interesting and appropriate that you create and test out a "benchmark".

    Please think about the differences in the US between CV and resume. CV is more for academics and lists, as you have, your experience, training and leadership involvement. If you intend this to be a CV, you might present your academic, commercial and research interests.
    The resume aims to interest firms to bring you in for an interview and is targeted.

    It troubles me that you do not have a formal address listing and phone number to reach you at. Sure, you have internet access, but you don't need to be told what that means.

    Resumes and CVs for that matter, in the US do not contain photos or personal data, height, pictures, religion, or things similar. Please be sensitive to this. It is true Internet profiles on Linked.in and other sites include photos.

    As a resume reviewers note it was challenging to me to clearly see the information I might be interested in. The logos, while topical, led to a shifting in arrangement of bullets. Did you have your name on the second page, or list key areas of high interest and links to papers or projects in them (google docs, for example.).

    Tae-hyun, I truly hope this feedback helps. Your online document is not commonly used in the fields I am involved with.

    Sincerely,
    Dan Eustace
    SUNY-Buffalo BA '70

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chandra, I don't know what you mean by "access"
    to the New Resume Format article. Do you want my original document?

    @ Dan, I appreciate your great comments and feedback. Actually, I received the same questions regarding the reasons for not providing my full contact information. For privacy, I didn't put my full address and phone number on my resume...However, I have another version of my resume, which has the same format, but involve my full contact information... So, once I receive contacts from recruiters or companies, I send them the one that includes my full contact information....

    I agree with you in the sense that this kind of resume formats are not usual and even could not be considered "professional" to some companies in the U.S. I think, however, it depends on what kind of organization culture a company has. In addition, because I am one of those who want to use this format in job application, I wanted to find people who like this kind of resume format in order to spread the words out there first. I believe that as the number of people who use new resume formats increases over the time, the chances that companies would accept those resume will also increase...

    Regarding my resume contents(my information), I agree with your feedback. I believe that is something that I should work on to improve my resume. I sincerely appreciate your advice.

    ReplyDelete