Saturday, July 10, 2010

What is the main difference between web 2.0 and web 3.0?

web 2.0 and web 3.0 Last week, I found an article describing about the Web 3.0, and it was the first time for me to hear about that term. I googled it to get more information about the Web 3.0, and I also posted the question, “What is the main difference between web 2.0 and web 3.0?” on LinkedIn. I have received valuable answers (10 answers) from some experts since I posted it, which greatly helped me understand those terms. I would like to share some of those answers with you here at my blog. (I only included here the answers that I got approvals from the authors).

Q: What is the main difference between web 2.0 and web 3.0? (what advantages can I expect from using the web 3.0 compared to the web 2.0 in terms of the online marketing?)

Answer from Greg Henle: Dale Dougherty came up with Web 2.0 as a way to describe almost any site, service, or technology that promoted sharing and collaboration. Blogs and wikis, tags and RSS feeds, etc.. Tim Berners-Lee came up with the concept called Semantic Web. Basically, the idea is turning the web into a searchable database. i.e. Web 3.0.

I would like to voice my disagreement with those saying that each version signifies just (emphasis on "just" ) marketing buzzwords. While there is no distinct "On this day, the web was upgraded to version 2.0", each "version" names a distinct shift in paradigm on how to use the web. Going in order from information distribution ( 1.0 ), to collaboration ( 2.0 ), and then to data-mining ( 3.0 ).
Besides, Tim Berners-Lee invented it so he can call it anything he damn well pleases. :-)

Answer from Vlad Shevnin: I think you can look at web 1.0, web 2.0 .... web x.0 as a way we label distinct periods or steps in the evolution of the Internet. For example one of the distinct characteristics of current period is the social aspect, users actively creating and sharing content. So I disagree with Irune. You may dislike buzzwords and marketing hype but it doesn't mean web 2.0 doesn't exist. Also to answer the question that's why you can't compare "using" web 2.0 and web 3.0 and switch between the two based on the advantages you get.

Answer from Randall Goya: it's basically an arithmetic problem... In my opinion, "Web 2.0" was born through the database-driven platforms allowing site membership, user-contributed content, and member interaction which arose in the early part of this century after the first internet bubble burst. I consider most web sites I build to be "Web 2.x" i.e. an incremental improvement of technology, interfaces, and concepts, but basically providing ways for users to communicate with the web site publishers and with each other.

I have often quipped that "Web 3.0" will likely involve a direct neural connection by the user with the internet, without any tactile appliance such as keyboard or mouse. This technology is already available from Emotiv, and the research team at Brown University has made great strides in "brain wave" controls with monkeys and paralyzed humans. I see this technology promising the kind of sea change represented by the rise of social and semantic publishing sites in "Web 2.0"

If you ask a graphic designer for a definition of "Web 2.0" s/he is likely to answer that it involves glossy graphics with vertical reflections (yeah we've seen the style - Adobe comes to mind).

Answer from Rey Gordon: I characterized web 3.0 as something that brings people together at many levels like this video from the head of Google suggests it encompasses all areas of life. This is why we call a web 3.0 application because it can simply be just a journaling tool if you wish but it can integrate all aspects of your travels including social aspects from the planning to after the trip and bring the web to real life. This is a great video that explains the differences in a very simple yet entertaining way.

One tip for you, currently I make 95% of my first search for info on Youtube, primarily because I hate to read but also because I enjoy watching and have a closer interaction with people presenting the info who are often on the videos. I suggest to you or anyone to do this. Youtube is approaching web 3.0 because it learns and it gives you great search returns after it knows who you are and how you search and the kinds of videos you like and of course it can be used across all media types as well! Now with Google TV arriving in the next few weeks, the true capabilities of Web 3.0 will be realized (at least in my mind).

1 comment:

  1. Thankfulness to my dad who informed me relating to this blog, this website is really amazing.best web 2.0 sites

    ReplyDelete