Monday, July 5, 2010

Tips for Target Case Competition

target I participanted in the Target Case Competition at University at Buffalo with the other three members in both 2009 and 2010. In 2009, my team was in the final list (five teams) and gave the presentation about our strategies for the case to seven executive members of the Target Corporation. We tried our best, but could not win the competition at that time. In 2010, we finally won the competition with solid, but straightforward marketing strategies. We also received a $3000 check as a reward.

As a winner of the Target Case Competition 2010, I would like to give some tips to furture participants, based on what I learned and experienced.

First of all, once you get the case for the competition, I recommend you to conduct some market research using the secondary data to get useful information. Market research could include competitor analysis, industry analysis, customer analysis, and etc. This will give you useful information such as how Target has performed in the market and what changes in consumer/market trends Target has faced, which will help you develop strategic plans for the case.

Second, focus on developing a plan(s) that is (are) feasible. That means, the plans you will develop must be the ones that the company would be able to apply in the near future.

Lastly, develop your presentation with professional structures and creative designs. Here, you should show your creative and professional presentation skills to impress the judges. Use simple, but impressive design for your PowerPoint slides (or whatever software you use for your presentation). My team also received a large portion of credits from our presentation.



Target Competition gave me great experience and helped me think out of box.. And it has helped me to realize what I should do to become a smart marketer who can create something from nothing.

I participated in the Target Case Competition twice so far, one in 2009, and the other in 2010. The Target Case Competition is held by the Target Corporation on an annual basis where undergraduate students compete in teams developing their strategic marketing (or management) plans for certain cases provided by the company.

- Tae Hyun Moon

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on winning. I participated 2x too and won the second time.

    ReplyDelete