Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello job seekers…Have you ever Googled your names?

I started blogging when I barely knew about the new marketing skills like Search Engine Optimization and social media marketing…. I even read some books describing those things, but the main reason for my “blogging” was because I just wanted to keep my own journals…..like things that have happened to me and that I want to remember….that kind of stuff…

But, one moment changed the way I think and consider the social media networking. Since it’s helped me a lot so far in differentiating myself from others, I would like to share this story with my fellow “job seekers” (I am a senior and job seeker!!)

At the beginning, I wrote some blog articles about the achievement awards that I received before. One of them was “Geico Achievement Awards 2010”. After I posted the article, I didn’t even look at it again until I saw it on the third page of Google search results. A couple of months after I posted it, one of my friends asked me about the award, and I wanted to show him the main website page for it. We found the main site, but we decided to further look for any web pages listing the recipients of 2010 (I wanted to show it to him, too…haha). So, I googled the phrase “Geico Achievement Awards” and surprisingly found my blog post on the third page of the search results. I didn’t give much thought into this at that time, but as I learned more about the social media marketing, this experience gave an important lesson to me. And…I decided to play around my blog and other social media sites to see how they work.

For example, in order to build my blog contents effectively, I searched for popular keywords that were also related to my blog posts by using some Google services like Google Adwords and Google Trends . I also utilized some SEO skills to make my blog more searchable. In addition, by using social bookmark sites such as Digg, I have managed to read other people’s thoughts and communicate with them. While making myself more searchable to online users, I was able to realize how much those skills are important in marketing and how I can utilize them to reach people out there.

I have heard from some people that some recruiters “google” the applicants’ names these days to see how much they have been involved in social media networking or what kind of social media activities they have done. Like most students, I didn’t prefer exposing my profile on the online and blocked every profile of the social media sites I had used. However, since Social media sites are considered as important marketing channels/tools in the new marketing era, I personally think that job seekers should also actively get involved in social networking and utilize the social media sites to effectively market themselves to recruiters. Like companies using the social media sites to connect to online/offline communities and tell their stories to consumers, job seekers should also put significant efforts in building their social media contents in order to tell their stories to their future bosses.

For example, let’s say, you have developed your blog contents with your strong insights and opinions. And some recruiters found your articles on the online by googling either your name or keywords that are related to your blog posts. If they are impressed by your articles or even the social media activities you have done, I think you would receive job offers more easily than spending tons of time on writing and mailing your resume/cover letters…

1 comment:

  1. To tell the truth, being a recruiter, I continuously "google" job seekers' names. And sometimes I'm simply impressed by their works or even the social media activities they have one:) Therefore, our paper writing service welcomes them for an interview.

    ReplyDelete